Calling all readers, it is a day of rejoicing because the Summer Reading Challenge 2019 is here! If you can believe it, this is the fourth summer of the challenge.
Like a kid pouring over the toy catalog in days gone by, I’ve chatted with family members, dreamed about books, and looked for ways to expand the reading challenge. Today, I am excited today to reveal this summer’s reading challenge!
It will start on June 1 and run through August 16, 2019. To enter, read seven books from 24 categories. Along the way, I’ll touch base and have several book giveaways planned.
What is different?
- For fun, I scrapped the previous reading challenge and created a fresh one for us.
- Many categories will be similar because reading is reading. But you will notice a few new gems —an audiobook, a book with a verb in the title, a book under 100 pages. People, I love this challenge so much I almost added more book as I wrote this paragraph. I need help!
- This year if you do not read your “penalty” book, you will subtract two books from your total (last year we were only docked one book).
What is the same?
- Counting a book of more than 700 pages as two books.
- Choosing a penalty book within the first week of the year. A penalty book or category you will read or be penalized. Last year I picked The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt and the Golden Age of Journalism, as my penalty book at it worked! I finally read a book I had planned for at least three years to read. My intention is strong and will weak. And I am all the richer for reading it. I even blogged about Ten Takeaways from The Bully Pulpit.
- More fun categories than ever!
What’s in it for you?
- All who comment on August 16-19th with the names of the books they read will be entered to win one of ten $10 Amazon gift cards.
Drumroll . . . here are the categories!
- A Biography
- A book I already own
- A book a friend recommended
- A Young Adult book (YA)
- A book with a great cover
- A book of poetry
- A memoir or autobiography
- A graphic Novel
- A book you might disagree with
- A book for professional development (loosely defined)
- A book longer than 700 pages (counts as two books)
- A book with a verb in the title
- A play
- A book about a country or culture you have never visited
- A book about history
- A book that won an award
- A classic
- A novel by an author you have never read before
- An audiobook
- A book related to a skill
- A book recommended by someone you know
- A book with an animal
- A book less than 100 pages
- A book You want to discuss with others
My penalty book is: Leadership: In Turbulent Times by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Download the 2019 SUMMER READING CHALLENGE, print it off, and track your progress. But most of all, have fun and read books you might not read in other times of the year!
In short: Read seven books from June 1 to August 16, 2019.
Are you in? What books are you looking forward to reading during the challenge?