If you’re new around here, you’re in for a treat! If you’re a regular, you know what’s coming and you’re still in for a treat because that is what π does . . . treat us all!
March 14th is π Day (3.14, get it?! Love it!?). Last year was the Ultimate π Day since Pi is 3.141592… and the date was 3.14.15. You might wonder, what’s the point this year? Forever we will live in the shadow of the ultimate.
Wrong! Pi is the gift that keeps on giving.
1. Like most of life, Pi is never the same two year in a row. Last year it might have been the Ultimate Pi day, but this year it is Well Rounded Pi. Get it!! 3.14159 rounds up to 3.1416. What’s the date this year? 3.14.16. Don’t worry that Pi’s best days are behind her. Which leads me to my next reason I love pi.
2. Pi can be whimsical and fun. This year a friend asked me why I talk about math so much. There is so much beauty and fun in math. But unfortunately that is the the main message most (at least Americans) believe. Pi Day offers us a chance to challenge this message in the best way! Jokes. Songs. Cartoons. Food. Come on, you try and throw a better party!
3. Not only is Pi different each year, so am I. In terms of Pi, I’ve had high’s and low’s this year. My friend Suzanne got me this awesome t-shirt! I love my Pi t-shirt collection. I really do.
The low, is a lost opportunity. I was scheduled to preach in July on Psalm 8’s relationship with Pi. If you’ve gotten to hear this sermon, you know I LOVE that sermon. Unfortunately, things happened at the church. So, this Pi Day is a small reminder of that loss.
- Listen to these songs: Pi Songs 1 and Pi Songs 2 — be amazed at the relationship between music and math.
- Tell of of these Pi jokes — who can you tell one to?
- Laugh at the Pi cartoons — the cleverness just bowls me over!
- Tap into your artsy side with Pi-ku
- What it means to live Life vs. Life Ala Mode
Happy Pi Day! How are you different this Pi Day from other years? What are you doing to celebrate?