You are my people and I love you! Many of you watched Looming Transitions be born and launched her into the world far beyond my wildest dreams. Since then you have cheered on each subsequent book. . . that sentence alone humbles me! “Each subsequent book” would not exist if you had not encouraged me as a writer, shared the books with people who could benefit from them, or the countless other ways you helped.
Can I tell you a secret?
I almost didn’t ask for your help with Connected: Starting Your Overseas Life Spiritually Fed because I didn’t want to become like a tedious guest or three-day-fish . . . or a too-much-Amy. But that makes this process about me, and not about what it should be about! It’s not about me or you . . . well, not much! It’s about the readers; and more than that, it’s about the right readers finding the right book at the right time.
A small army signed up to read a copy of this book before it was published. Why is this important? So that today, the day she is officially presented to the world, people can read the reviews and get a sense if this is the right book for them.
Publishing a book is a bit like having a baby: it’s a lot of work, the time frame it not always exact, and you want to share with everyone!!!
Today I have several posts sharing about this book, but here, in this space, picture me bursting into the waiting room—because though the process is like given birth, I’m more able to burst into rooms—waving my arms and shouting, “She’s here!” Knowing that you want to join in the fun. Hugs all around. Smiles and joy and wanting to know what you can do.
1. Celebrate! Of course, I hope this book sells decently because I truly believe Connected will help cross-cultural workers start their time on the field connected to God.
But if this book sells and I have no one to share it with, what have I gained? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. What is worse than watching sports by yourself and having no one to high-five? Nothing. Okay, there are worse things, but in that moment, it’s pretty low.
I’m high-fiving you! Woot, woot! If you weren’t here, there would be no book. I did it. You encouraged me. We did it. Let’s enjoy this moment.
2. May I boldly ask, buy a copy of Connected? Purchased copies through Amazon are the only way that Amazon will start to recommend Getting Started as an “also bought.”
4. Suggest or give Connected to someone you know who is in their first year. The best way a book sells is through word of mouth. If you tell them and they know you, they are much more likely to buy it. All organization should give Connected to their first year people!
5. Leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads. It does not need to be five stars (though if that’s what your heart is saying, go with your heart!). Amazon is funny, she just likes to see the amount of reviews. The more reviews (even three or four star), the more she will say, “Hey, maybe I should tell other people about this book.” The goal is 50.
6. Tell someone about Connected. You know tons of people I don’t know. You know people living in Sweden or working at this church or for that organization. You know your neighbor’s cousin who is moving to Brazil or your former coworker who recently started his life on the field. You know mission committee members and pastors and counselors.
Here are photos if you want to share on social media, a blog, or in another way.
You might be a blogger who would like to interview me or write a review of Connected (I can offer a copy as a giveaway). Who could you tell about this book?
To all who read the book and wrote reviews, thank you!!! Thank you to Stacey Covell for editing and to Vanessa Mendozzi for the cover design and formatting.
To all who will help me celebrate, thank you!
To all of you, thank you for being my online, Amy-the-person people. You are my people, and I love you!
Now, let’s pop the cork on the bubbly, the fizzy apple juice, or the diet coke. Whatever is celebratory to you and let’s party! I raise my glass to you and say, “Thank you.” Clink! It is so good to be Connected.
Leave a comment and two of you will win a copy (if mailed in the U.S.) or on Kindle (anywhere in the world). What fruit of the Spirit are you enjoying or needing these days?
With love and gratitude,