I’ll admit, for a while the question, “When will your book be done?” made me a bit sheepish. After sharing a goal or a dream, on the upside you get cheerleaders. On the downside, if you’re not really doing much you get to be shifty again and again with, “Oh, I’m working on it.” (Hypothetically for four years. I’m just saying.)
Go ahead, ask me. “When can I buy your book?”
I’ll try not to smile too big when I say, “Today!!!!!!!”
Looming Transition is on Amazon (both Kindle and print) and at Createspace. I earn slightly more if you buy a print copy at createspace, but if you’ve got a good gig going on with Amazon, guilt free buy from Amazon.
LT is intended for the 4 to 6 months before moving to or from the field. I firmly believe that is a key window that can make your transition easier or harder. Notice, I said “easier,” not easy. You get it.
I’ve never launched or sold a book before and I feel a bit like I’m saying to you, “Do you like my baby? Will you, my people help raise her? Will you stand with me in the good times and hard? Will you still like me even when she disappoints or does stupid things?”
And all the people said, “We will!”
You might wonder, That’s great, but I’ve never done this either. What can I do? Here are four ways you can help with this raising of Looming Transitions:
1. Celebrate! Of course I hope this book sells decently because I truly believe it will help those in transition, but if this books sells and I have no one to share it with, what have I gained? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. What is worse than watching sports by yourself and having no one to high-five? Nothing. Okay, there are worse things, but in that moment, it’s pretty low.
I’m high-fiving you! Woot, woot! If you weren’t here, there would be no book. I did it. You encouraged me. We did it. Let’s enjoy this moment.
2. Suggest or give Looming Transitions to someone you know who in transition to or from living overseas. The best way a book sells is through word of mouth. If you tell them and they know you, they are much more likely to buy it.
3. Leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads. It does not need to be five stars (though if that’s what your heart is saying, go with your heart!). Amazon is funny, she just likes to see the amount of reviews. The more reviews (even three or four star), the more she will say, “Hey, maybe I should tell other people about this book.”
4. Tell someone about Looming Transitions. You know tons of people I don’t know. You know people living in Sweden or working at this church or for that organization. You know you neighbor’s cousin who is moving to Brazil or your former coworker who is entering his last semester on the field. You know mission committee members and pastors and counselors.
This includes sharing on social media. Thanks for all of the shout outs!
You might be a blogger who would like to interview me or write a review of Looming Transitions (I can offer a copy as a giveaway). Who could you tell about this book?
Three final thoughts:
- If you want to buy Looming Transitions in bulk, use the contact form below and I can work with you on a discounted rate.
- As a small gift to those in transition, I’ve made these graphics that go along with ideas from the book.
- I find authors who only talk about their books tedious. We get it, you wrote a book. How about living a life too?! My bias, I know. On Friday I’ll share a bit of the journey of this book and wanted to warn you incase you fear that every post is going to be about this book. It’s not. My plan is to mention it at the beginning of each semester and maybe share if something interesting comes up.
Because today is a day of celebration! Leave a comment and on Friday I’ll draw one of your names and you can give this book to someone you know—yourself included :).
As we launch this book and wait to see how God will use it, I want to end with the benediction I gave at the end of the acknowledgments:
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Grace and Peace,
Contact form for inquiries as to me speaking to your group about transitions, buying bulk orders, or your thoughts on the Broncos’ chances in the Superbowl.
I am in my last 8 months of a 27 year missionary stint. TRANSITION is what I am going through inside and out. I not only want to read this book but I NEED this book. The timing is of God. I hope I win one of the books, but if not I will buy and recommend it anyway!
Bess, I think I’m going to feel this way about everyone . . . I HOPE you win it! :)
YAY! So excited for this & ordering a copy today. Thinking back to your classes/advice from my last year of ATC, and how many times MaryBeth would say “well, Amy said ….” and wisdom would follow. :)
I hope that the main thing MB said about me was how much she knew (knows!) I love her.
I’m so glad you wrote this, Amy, and I can’t wait to read and learn!
Thank you Erica :)! This is the weird part about vulnerability, I think the world of you, so I hope you like it :)
I already ordered a copy of your book but if I happen to wun one I will give it to a friend. I will surely review and share after I have read it.
Thanks so much J :)!!
As the fun song goes… “Celebrate good times, come on….” :) :) :)
Now I’m singing :)!!
Kimberlee Conway Ireton says
Woot! Woot! Congratulations, Amy! I am so happy for you…and already thinking of people who could use this book.
Thanks Kimberlee! I loved today when i was at a volunteer thingy I do on Thursdays and one of the other volunteers said she bought your book!! Yay!!
Amy Large says
Looking forward to buying a copy for myself AND for others that could use it! Wheee! Sit back and relax a bit now! EnJOY this moment, Amy! Looking forward to giving you high five (and hug) in person! ^_^
I look forward to that too!!
Sarah Hilkemann says
So excited for you, Amy! I got a copy for my sister and brother-in-law who are moving over to Cambodia soon, and one for me too. :) Praying this book will be a blessing to many!
Your sis and BIL!!! (and I hope so . . . blessing to many :)!). Thanks Sarah.
Jody Collins says
Congratulations, Amy! May God get this into the right hands….and continue to give you the creative avenues to spread the word.
Amen! (and thanks :)!!)
I have just recently found your blog, so I just found out about this book and it’s subject. It might have to go to the top of my potential buy list
H! Welcome to the messy middle :). So glad to have you here!
Definitely on my list of books to read as I prepare to return to the field in the next year or two. Excited for you, Amy, and excited to learn from your experiences through this book. :)
Thanks Davita! And it will be good to have you back on the field!
Could not be more excited for you! Your words, your wisdom, your message will bless SO many! Congratulations on this awesome accomplishment. Excited, along with you and so many others, to see how God will use you and your book.
Deb, I can’t thank you enough!! Today someone said that they could hear my voice coming through . . . and I thought instantly of you. That speaks so highly of you!!!
Nancy Ruegg says
Another member of the Glory Writers Team celebrating the birth of your “baby!” Congratulations, Amy. May it ease the transitions of many!
Mark Ogden says
Just ordered it for my wife ( I plan to read it too ). Just returned from Beijing last night and we are leaning toward moving back to Pennsylvania, USA this summer. Our likely transition has been forced on us sooner by a sudden surgery needed by my mother and our daughter being hospitalized for a thyroid problem. We’ll let her read the book too as she recently returned from one year in North Africa. So, my wife is already back to help for a few weeks.
She packed all our Christmas things that we wanted to save and they’re now safe and sound in Pennyslvania.